Peter Zavarelli
Peter Zavarelli, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

I rented a Nissan X-Trail (I think registered in Dec '17)

Customer Question

I rented a Nissan X-Trail (I think registered in Dec '17) during the recent snow. Car hire company insists that it was 4wd. I say it was 2wd.
How can I tell (apart from the fact that it couldn't handle the snow).
a) there was no drive shaft visible going to back wheels
b) there was no obvious lever or button inside to change to 4wd
Any help would be appreciated.
Aidan.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, the rear wheels did not spin or move in the snow.
Expert:  Peter Zavarelli replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

You would need to inspect for axles or drivelines to the rear or rear wheel/hubs.If you do not have any of these then it is a 2wd model.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete