Marc Webster
Marc Webster,
Experience:  mechanic at sw autos
107219462

Yesterday my Nissan Note cut out and would not restart. I

Yesterday my Nissan Note cut out and would not restart. I then called the RAC who thought the problem was the key fob. There is a key symbol lit up on the dashboard at the moment.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yes the RAC guy put new batteries in both fob's
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2016 Note
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have b
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been advised to contact the nearest nissan garage

Hello do you still require assistance with this?
i have read through the case notes and it does appear that a key symbol on the dash indicates a imobilizer fault. does the key still unlock the car remotely

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
yes

Ok, so we can rule out the keys, and is the yellow/orange key light still on the dash, does the engine turn over at all or nothing.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
It does at the moment

Its definitly looking like an immobiliser issue, 9 times out of ten it is a problem with the ECU, especially if it just happened out the blue, another thing to check would be that the key hole / ignition is not damaged in anyway, as they have a sensor inside them this can also fail but most of the time its the ECU,

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
What is the ECU

It is a computer that controls the car electronics, it will be under the dashboard somewhere, its a ver complex piece of equipment, i would recconmend a garage / main dealer to assist further as they have the special laptops/ software to talk to the computer .

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
thank you most helpful

thats no problem, i would advise them to check the ignition barrel aswell as like mentioned above it can sometimes be the sensor, this would be alot cheaper to fix too so always worth getting that checked

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I will obviously take your advice thanks once again

Ok, thats great, i hope you get sorted and running again very soon,
please feel free to leave feedback / review as it helps other members of the site too
thanks again! from Marc