Steve
Steve, vehicle technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

I have a k12 model and recently when i'm picking up speed i

i have a k12 model and recently when i'm picking up speed i am hearing a loud noise from the car the faster i go no warning lights have come on, the car has done 92000 and has got no advisory on the mot
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: no dashboard warning lights
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: micra k12 2007 1.4 spirta automatic
JA: Are you fixing your Micra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no,nothing
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade< hopefully I can help you.

There can be many reasons for a noise and it is of course difficult without hearing the noise, but could you say roughly where it comes from? Is it central to the vehicle or more from the front or rear, does it seem to be worse on one side or the other. From your description I understand it gets louder the faster you go, is this correct.

Would you describe it as a drone or vibration.

If you can let me know the answer to these questions I will try to determine the problem for you.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a droning noise and it is central.yes,it gets louder when i go faster

A droning noise suggests that it is a bearing at fault, This could be a wheel bearing and although the noise is central this can travel through the vehicle.

The problem may also be with the auto box, although this is less likely it would be worth checking the fluid to ensure it is up to level and not off colour

One way of testing if the noise is a wheel bearing is to steer from side to side slightly when the noise occurs, with the weight of the vehicle shifting this will often alter the noise. If it does this will help pin point the source as one of the wheel bearings.

If it is a wheel bearing, which I now strongly suspect, as the bearing gets more worn the noise will start at a lower speed, it will then be easy to find by jacking the vehicle up and spinning the wheels by hand, the drone of the bearing should then be heard.

I hope this helps answer your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve