Phillip H
Phillip H,
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

I took my car to garage because engine light came on and

Customer Question

Hello i took my car to garage because engine light came on and they said it needed a dpf clean as it 2as blocked. They also did a service and my timing belt. I went 6 miles in it and it went into limp mode. My son in law looked at it and said there is a crack in the boost pipe. They are saying they didn't do it. Where do i stand because this was not a problem before
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: 90 thousand and no
JA: What is the model of your '90 Nissan?
Customer: Qashqai
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No i am not i want garage to admit they did something wrong
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Phillip H replied 9 days ago.

Hiya

This is more of a legal question than an automotive advice question and I would be more inclined to post something in the the legal section of the site.

The problem is you need to be able to prove that there wasn't a crack in the pipe prior to the garage completing the repair. They will no doubt say that the crack happened after you left the garage. If there was a crack in the pipe while at the garage then the vehicle would have had the EML on when it left the garage. The fact that you have done six miles and then the fault occured works in their favour because it was ok when it left the garage! Due to age and mileage there is no way to prove that this wouldn't have happened anyway.

As another example you could have an MOT test on your vehicle showing that the car is roadworthy. A bulb could blow on the way home making the car unroadworthy. Is this the fault of the MOT station? No, it is quite simply wear and tear and could have happened anytime.

I think you will find it hard to get the garage to claim responsibility for the problem when the EML wasn't on at the time it left the garage.

Phillip