CarDoc
CarDoc, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  IMI L3 Motor Vehicle Mechanic
105313175

I’ve got a Nissan xtrail almost 3 years old & recently it’s

Customer Question

Hi I’ve got a Nissan xtrail almost 3 years old & recently it’s started to take a while to start. I have had the battery checked and not a problem and they also said alternator was ok. It’s not always but frequent and doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold it’s done about 50000 miles.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: no and surely they would have spotted that with the battery check??
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: xtrail 2017
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i am just trying to understand what it maybe that is causing this
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: As it feels sometimes like it might not start thanks
Category: Nissan
Expert:  CarDoc replied 10 days ago.

Hi, How are you?
I'm Shabaz, one of the automotive experts, I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with your car, I will do my best to help you today.

Firstly, what is the engine size and fuel type?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
2 litre and diesel
Expert:  CarDoc replied 10 days ago.

Starting problems or extended cranking is caused by 1 or more of the following: 1 or more glowplugs not working correctly, faulty crankshaft position sensor, weak injector, weak battery or starter motor.

I would recommend getting the crankshaft sensor replaced first as this sensor is the most common cause of starting difficulties.

I hope this helps. Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you - today the problem has changed a little and whilst driving I got a strong smell l, similar to shoe polish. When I stopped the car I could smell it outside too. Any ideas what this might be?
Expert:  CarDoc replied 8 days ago.

Do you have any smoke coming from the exhaust? You need to have a look near the exhaust manifold and turbo, I think what you smell is oil burning. It's difficult to diagnose a particular smell, are you sure it's not unburnt diesel? You can open your filler cap and smell that to see if it smells similar.