Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

We recently replaced the battery. Since then it won't start

Customer Question

We recently replaced the battery. Since then it won't start and is making a beeping noise when I turn the ignition. It is a keyless micra 03
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Yes, the steering wheel turns. Both keys have had new batteries in.
JA: Are you fixing your Micra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just trying to start it thats all. It belonged to my late mother in law
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has been sitting for a while and the battery had died which is why we replaced it
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 10 days ago.

Good afternoon and thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

The keyless Nissan Micra system can sometimes have trouble picking up the signal. You should follow these steps to attempt to start.

Unlock the vehicle and sit in the drivers seat, push down both the clutch and brake pedals and then place the fob next to the start switch, Now turn the switch to the start position.

This should re-set the system and allow the engine to start, if this does not work then unfortunately you may need to have the system re-set using a diagnostic scanner.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Thank you for using Just Answer and do please if you have any problems get back to me on this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, I forgot to mention that it is an automatic so no clutch pedal! I have tried pressing the
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have tried pressing the brake but it just beeps and won't start

If the car is an automatic it would be worth ensuring the handbrake is firmly on and that the gear selector is in park ok, as well. Also ensure the door is closed properly before trying to start.

These can be temperamental, if the car still just beeps, then it does sound as though the fob may need reprogramming, but hopefully this isn't the case.

It may also be worth checking tot see if the brake lights are working ok, as if they are not then it could be a faulty or sticking brake light switch.

Do please let me know how it goes and do also feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve