Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

I have P0136 error - my local garage has changed the O2

Hi - I have P0136 error - my local garage has changed the O2 sensor in the engine bay but its not resolved the issue
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: P0136 I suspect, from reading online that its the rear O2 sensor but he disagrees and says its the sensor in the engine bay, the front sensor
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2016 Nissan X-Trail
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The front O2 sensor has been replaced
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Dont think so

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today i take it he has tested the post catalytic lambda sensor.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No - I dont think he has. Hes put the diagnostic and pulled the same error as me P0136. I think the confusion is arising as when you look at Nissan's technical manual or whatever its called, it does not have a P0136 - first time it went in he said there is only 1 sensor.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it seems to miss 0137 - https://zinref.ru/avtomobili/Nissan/011_10_00_Nissan_X-Trail_T32_Service_Manual_ENGLISH/874.htm

It should have two for a closed loop lambda.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (Q1VQ52M)
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I can see the 2nd one under the car, plugging into the exhaust, but he says that is not faulty as the error is the first sensor
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry P0136 is the error - the manual does not seem to list 0136

He must of tested it is he looking for a wiring fault now.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No - its to go back in on Tuesday as he has apparently spoken to Nissan engineer who said to run the engine with the diagnostic in place and also to try and inject butane into the engine to record what happens to the sensor reading

Yes check the live data out.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He still thinks Sensor 2 is fine and with Sensor 1 having been replaced is looking things like the injectors

Not sure about the injector theory.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Last time I got the car back and the error code did not appear until after say 40mins of driving and it appeared as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator to slow down. I think thats what is making him think it might be something like an injector passing in too much fuel or not cutting off in time. But..... all online forums/articles atc all say P0136 is the sensor after the catalytic converter in the exhaust and not the one he changed which is pre the converter in the engine bay
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I suppose what I want/need it a Nissan engineer to say that P0136 is the 2nd O2 sensor and not the first.

I have it down as post cat sensor.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Or not that it is the 2nd O2 that is faulty, but at least that it relates to the 2nd and not 1st sensor
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ah, just noticed your previous reply - can you send me a screenshot of anything that says P0136 is the post cat sensor?

The code is not a pin point it never is it is just a guide the rest is down to testing.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yeah, thats what I should have said - I know you cant say definitively that its the sensor itself but you can say that the error relates to the post cat sensor and not the pre cat sensor. I think hes looking in the wrong place, thats really the purpose of this question - can I get a qualified Nissan engineer to say P0136 relates to the post cat O2 and not Pre cat - if you have anything like a screenshot of something that says that it would let me go back to him and ask him to trouble shoot from the point of view that sensor 2 in the exhaust is where the error originates

Trouble is we do not know how he is doing the testing they are not to bad to check with the correct equipment i think you need to get it tested at a different workshop.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I dont think he is doing testing - I took it back in and all he did was read the same error code then say he will speak to Nissan. After changing it the first time that is all he has done

That is the problem he is just going of the code without testing it is called bolt on diagnostics and it is an expensive habit.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What gets me is that the error he is getting is telling him to look at the post cat O2 but hes still ignoring that and insisting the error is coming from the pre cat O2. I think I just need to cancel next weeks visit and book it into the dealership. I dont want to though as the local garage im using has a great reputation and I dont want to fall out with them!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
to finish this call - can you confirm that P0136 relates to the rear O2 sensor in the exhaust flow (and not that the sensor itself is faulty).

You are not falling out with them you are just getting this issue checked out somewhere else that code points more to the post cat sensor.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Great, thats what I wanted to hear, I will give them a wee call and see what they say. Thanks for your advice

No problem regards Gavin.