Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Still having issues with my truck not boosting and bellowing

Customer Question

hi all still having issues with my truck not boosting and bellowing out black smoke ive changed...boost control solenoid
turbo
turbo actuator
cam sensor
crank sensor
fuel pressure relief valve
fuel pressure sensor
throttle body
maf sensor
map sensor
intercooler and pipes
boost control pipes
suction control valve
egrs blanked
I've got injectors this weekend to change and and oxygen sensor to fit if it's none of these two things what else could it be ? tia
JA: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: d40 2007 euro 4 engine
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I have currently replaced turbo turbo actuator injectors cam and crank sensor
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: throttle body
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

If the vehicle is puffing out black smoke from the exhaust then this would indicate over fuelling.  Having the EGR blanked off will not help the equation in the slightest as the  EGR in effect recirculates some of what was in the exhaust and reburns it in order to lower emissions.

It appears that you have changed pretty much everything on the vehicle and as long as these are new parts and not second hand then you should pretty much have eliminated all of those!  You have also stated that you are changing injectors however I suspect it will not cure the issue!

You haven't said anything about completing a diagnostic code read?  Have you done this?  Was there any codes?  You also haven't mentioned anything about a live data check.  Are the readings on the various sensors what you would expect?  For over  fuelling issues the first ones I would look at are sensors related to temperature so Air Temperature Sensor (this is usually part of the MAF Sensor) and Engine Temperature Sensor.  Are these giving the correct readings?  If they are showing minus temperatures then the Engine Control Module will compensate by increasing the fuelling for the cold temperature.

It may not be the sensors themselves that are at fault.  It could be wiring or it could be the Engine Control Module itself.  Check the sensors then the wiring and finally if that's all ok it leaves you with module issues.

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hi Phillip I've had plugged into a computer for live data and it came back with nothing at all is the egr a common issue even if its blanked ? it randomly lost power on my way home from work one day
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

Very rarely have any issues with them! Occasionally if the units gets carboned up through short journeys they can stick or more often on vehicles with DPF if the pressure pipes have split and the DPF won't regen then again a bit of carbon build up may occur.

If you had loss of power then you are either looking at an air leak or fuelling issues potentially.  Occasionally if the EGR was stuck open then you might get slight loss of power but they usually fail closed!

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the truck on 208000 miles so its done a fair bit of work in its time it had been doing about 60 miles a day until going wrong
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

Quite high mileage then.  You have the injectors anyway so if you are going to fit those you can see if it makes any difference.  It won't do it any harm at that mileage to have a set anyway!  Let me know how you get on after you have fitted them.

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
there already fitted and it's a barely noticeable difference sadly
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

I see from your list that you have fitted a turbo.  Is this a new unit?

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
hi , yes completely new turbo and turbo actuator
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

I only ask because it's amazing the amount of people that seem to think fitting second hand parts will work!  I think with what I have heard you have covered pretty much all bases.

What does the vehicle drive like?

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
its seems to sound nice on tickover however has a bit of a knock when revving, it doesn't reallt want to go about 20 and judders also bellows out black/ white smoke
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

The only thing I can think that you haven't touched on is Timing Chain.  In particular the lower one.  Could have jumped a tooth especially at that mileage!

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'll certainly look into that is there any common symptoms that come with that ?
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

Yes smoking, rattling, poor running.

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
that's very interesting ill have a look at that cheers, ***** *****'t think there can be alot else it could be
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

See how you get on with that.  I certainly hope you find something there after replacing so many things!

Do you know where you are at with Timing Chains?  If not I can see if I can find some information for you.  I would need the VIN number to ensure I get the correct vehicle.

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have a rough idea I don't currently have the truck but it's it's 2007 nissan navara d40 euro 4 engine non dpf
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

I'll see what I can find for you.

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thankyou !
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

If you go to this website: Nissan B2B and click on the link at the bottom 'IMT Sign Up' you can register as an independent user and view the Electronic Service Manual for your vehicle.  This has all of the details with reference to your timing chain along with helpful pictures.

Phillip

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thankyou very much