Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

After a steady motorway run (1hr+) struggling to select any

After a steady motorway run (1hr+) struggling to select any gear when stopping on slip road
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: No fluid leaks, 90k miles
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2013 qashqai 360 1.5 diesel
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Happy to attempt minor repairs but not tried anything yet
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Mark

Hi Mark I hope you are well. can you confirm the car is a manual transmission?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.

ok, and how do you get it to start selecting again? or is this happening now?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It happen Wednesday. Managed to get it into 2nd gear but had trouble selecting up to 3rd. Nursed it 50yds to a layby. Double clutched a couple of times and it went back to working. Usuallyonlyused on short journeys through town with no issues.
Almost as if driving any length of time in a high gear is creating heat and thickening the fluids in either gearbox or clutch

ok, so I would certainly start by replacing the transmission oil and clutch fluid. its most likely the clutch fluid starting to boil up because of the water content

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Is it relatively simple to drain and refill the clutch and gearbox fluids?
Draining I assume is opening a plug on the bottom of the gearbox and clutch. Just how to refill afterwards

ok you would need a specialist pump to get the transmission fluid back up and in the gearbox and the clutch fluid has to be bled through as any air in the system will cause the pedal not to work at all