RichardM1126
RichardM1126,
Experience:  Expert
110837232

I have a 2007 nissan navara d40 2.5dci, It has been running

I have a 2007 nissan navara d40 2.5dci, It has been running rough but difficult to start. Have new injectors fitted and coded, all filters fuel & vacuum pipes replaced. Had a new suction control valve fitted and checked fuel for contamination, have recently watched a YouTube video showing to check the camshaft sensor, so I disconnected it and the truck started and did not stall. Does this mean it's a faulty sensor or the timing chain needs replacing. Thanks
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: Fuel rail and sensors are fine
JA: Are you fixing your Navara yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, trying to fix and fault find myself as no codes showing
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The truck has just done 104 thousand miles with part service history but no reference to having timing chain replaced.
My name is ***** ***** I’m a moderator for this topic! My goal is to help you get the best out of JustAnswer.
Experts are much more likely to answer your question quickly if they know the make, model, year of your vehicle, engine type and size, fuel type and registration plate number.
Please provide the information above to help Experts find a solution quicker.
Thank you for your help and patience,
Oleksandra – Moderator
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It is a 2007 nissan navara d40 2.5dci Registration Number LV07 EGX.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to hear you have been having problems, so with the camshaft sensor disconnected the engine runs without stalling, now the fact that you have had to change so many components tells me that there is an underlying problem, basically with the camshaft sensor connected it is telling the engine control unit that the timing is out which is therefore  making the injectors etc all work at times they shouldn't to compensate the advanced timing,

timing chains are not a serviceable item so they don't need to be changed at certain mileage, what makes them wear and stretch causing running issues is poor servicing which you have stated it has part history as most timing chain tensioners are done by oil pressure so regular servicing is a must,

if you want to try a camshaft sensor first  as its the cheaper option but i would say it wont make any difference

sorry it wasn't better news as timing chains can be an expensive job!!!!!

many thanks

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi Richard, thank you for the reply. Yes it has and will be an expensive venture but hopefully now replacing the timing chain and regular servicing should give me trouble free motoring for a few years to come.

It will be worth the money especially if you intend to keep it for a while,

many thanks

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yep, I hope so as I bought the truck to use on a charity project that we have been given the green light for but the purchase and repair is down to me Finance wise. My last question is on preping the engine in readiness to change the timing chain, do I need to have cylinder 1 at top dead centre or does it not matter as long as all the marks line up from strip down. I have all the torque settings but there are no how to manuals found anywhere.

i would have cylinder one at TDC then at least you know, but also like you say mark it all up better to be safe then sorry!!

good luck with the charity event

RichardM1126,
Experience: Expert