Pete
Pete, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Technical Consultant at Just Answer
14928985

A light has come up on my car I have looked it up it says

Customer Question

A light has come up on my car I have looked it up it says check engine malfunction indicator light
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us for assistance with your vehicle. I'm Pete. I will be happy to assist you with your question. May I ask to whom I have the pleasure of speaking with today?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Deborah forshaw
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

Hello Deborah. Nice to hear from you today! I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem. I know this can be frustrating. Has anything been done to try and locate or resolve the check engine light malfunction in your Nissan?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No light comes on and off
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for your reply and that information as this does help me better understand the situation. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. I’ll be right back!

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Not sure if to take it to showroom
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Should I been driving it do not want to do any damage to it as need it for work
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for holding Deborah!

The check engine warning light will come on in your Nissan anytime the engine computer detects an issue with one of the engine, transmission, or emissions-related components. There is a large number of different components that can create this issue from faulty sensors, wiring, or even engine or transmission component failure. In order to identify the fault so it can then be repaired properly what needs to be done is to have a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle's data port that can read all of the computers in your vehicle to see which fault codes are stored with this issue. Once this has been done the fault codes that come up can then be diagnosed to help pinpoint and repair this issue. This will require the use of a high-end scan tool that can read all of your vehicle's computers. If you do not have a scan tool to check the fault codes yourself a shop or dealer can check the fault codes as well as diagnose the issue for about a 1-hour labor charge (around $200). The cost to repair the problem varies as it depends on which component has failed that requires repair or replacement. As long as the vehicle is still running and operating properly without making any odd noises or causing any smoke concerns it should be o.k. to drive it for now. I do recommend having it looked into as soon as you can though.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
should I take it to showroom where I brought it only got it October last year
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

As long as they perform vehicle diagnosis and repairs at the showroom then it would be a great idea to take it back to them to have it looked into and repaired.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
they do thankyou for your help
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

You are most welcome Deborah!

Glad I could be of some help today! I hope everything works out well for you! If there are any additional questions on this issue that should arise, please feel free to reply and ask here! If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your “My Questions” page if you choose to rate our interaction. Have a great day! Thank you for choosing Just Answer for your questions!