sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

The immobilized light is on and I cannot start the car with

Customer Question

The immobilized light is on and I cannot start the car with the keyless or with the key.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: no, but we’re told it has been replaced recently.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2012 qashqai-just bought it used from a private sale
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we’re stuck on a side road. Have tried the key. Have tried getting out of the car and re-entering. My husband left me in the car for a bit with the key in the car and now it won’t start.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not sure. New car for us and we’ve googles all sorts of ways to fix this.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 12 days ago.

Dear customer my name is***** the expert who will attend you today, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, if you wish you can tell me your name, to know who I have the pleasure to talk to, also if possible I would like you to send me a photo or video in which your fault is better appreciated, it would help a lot to improve my final answer. If you have done a previous check or diagnosis in which you have obtained any error codes, that would also be helpful. Please note that the system will automatically offer you a service call, this has an additional cost to the initial cost of the consultation, and not in all cases it is necessary, so I recommend you to dispense with the call for now, we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trusting in the just answer.

Dear customer, this seems to be a problem with the immobilizer system that has been activated.
Let me explain how your immobilizer system works.
The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.
When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a bypass.
If you have a problem in the key or in the immobilizer, your vehicle will not turn on, this happens a lot when we perform works in the vehicle, it may have unintentionally done something to the battery that made the vehicle think that you were trying to turned on without its respective key or some other case that could activate the immobilizer.

If the immobilizer cannot verify the codes, this may be due to different factors, such as the key has been deprogrammed with the immobilizer, or that the key has no access to the vehicle, therefore the immobilizer inhibits the ignition , this type of problems is quite common so you do not necessarily have to go to the dealership to solve it, although it would be the most prudent and correct thing to do, there are auto locksmith garages and local garages that can help you with your case, reprogramming the key fob, key and the immobilizer, and verify if any of the modules present damages or if there is a short.

This problem may be the most likely but there are another factors like a problem with the key fob or main battery, fuses, key barrel or some sensor like the CKP sensor. Starter relay etc. That can inhibit ignition as well

Dear customer, it is my pleasure to serve you. You may wish to mark me as a favourite expert for future reference. I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert. You will have the option to do so on your "My Questions" page or you can request me by name on the site if you wish. My name is @Exp-JoseSebas

Thank you for trusting Justanswer.