How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11288
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

I need some info on listeria as the whole thing is making me

This answer was rated:

I need some info on listeria as the whole thing is making me sick with worry. I work full time and I have three kids, now on my fourth (21 weeks) and barely have much time to do housework as I'm working quite late and due to spd I find moving around difficult. I left some dirty items to soak in a sink for atleast 3 days as I kept running out of time to wash them. When I got round to it I accidently splashed the dirty water in my mouth when I tried to drain the water to re fill sink and now I'm worried I've put myself at risk.
Listeria infection is almost always caused by eating contaminated food. It would be rare for it to be caused by some contaminated water, assuming you didn't drink the water. If you develop fever and chills, you could ask your doctor for a blood test for listeria, but I think listeria infection is highly unlikely.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How much listeria has to be ingested to get infected. I definitely didnt drink it, it was a splash. I've probably been over caution before this incident to the point where I'm washing my hands everytime I touch even a handle in the kitchen. I'm also on amoxicillian for a bladder infection at the moment, would this help protect me?

It's difficult to say how much listeria has to be ingested, but for most people it's a significant amount. Amoxicillin is one of the antibiotics for treating listeria, so it would definitely protect you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

so you can't catch it just by accidently putting your fingers in your mouth after touching infected worktops etc. I've only got 2 more days worth of amoxicillian. would that be enough to protect me from possible infection by the water and do you actually have to get symptoms for it to pass to the baby. ive heard it can be so mild you wont notice it.

You're unlikely to catch it by putting your fingers in your mouth, but I wouldn't say it's impossible. 2 more days of amoxicillin should be enough to protect you. Generally, the baby won't become infected unless the mother gets ill.
Dr. Norm S. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your payment.