Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Hello, I am 59, healthy active woman who went through the menopause

Hello, I am 59, healthy active woman who went through the menopause around 51, have had some vaginal dryness since. Just recently have had a clear slightly sticky discharge, particularly on getting out of bed in the mornings. Is this any cause for concern? No other syptoms and single, and not been in a relationship for a very long time. Thank you Linda

Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name isXXXXX and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

Clear sticky discharge isn't any cause for concern by itself. It sounds like there may be some mucous coming from cervical glands as the uterus is shrinking further into menopause.

Dr. C. :

As long as there isn't any bleeding or any discomfort such as burning, itching or odor, a sticky clear discharge is perfectly safe to just observe.

Dr. C. :

With lack of estrogen in the menopause, the uterus gets smaller and smaller over time. During this time of shrinking, it's quite possible to have some mucous expelled from cervical glands in the process.

Dr. C. :

Another thing that can happen in the menopause is that thinning of the tissue can lead to some fluid seeping from the vaginal walls. But usually when I see this, it's more watery or thin than thick. Thicker clear discharge is almost always related to mucous secretion from glands on the cervix.

Dr. C. :

Please REPLY if I can clarify anything or provide more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Dr C,

Thank you for your clear, positive answer. Just another thought has popped up, is there any advise for future health recommendations at this stage of life? Many thanks Linda

You're welcome.

At this stage of life, the most important factors are to keep weight in a healthy range and to stay active and strong. Priority needs to shift to almost daily exercise if possible, with a minimum of brisk walking for 15 minutes, more if possible. At the same time maintaining core body strength, flexibility and balance. Many women begin to loose muscle strength around their spine at this time of life. This can account for some height loss well before bone health deteriorates around the spine. So attention to posture, walking like you're 30 and have a string pulling your head up, with shoulders back and down. Taking a yoga class, Pilates or Tai Chi will keep flexibity, balance and strength around the spine. This will reduce risk of fractures.

Many women also begin to notice slowed metabolism and digestive changes. Paying attention to diet and making changes to eat less and avoid foods that cause digestive upset is helpful.

Please REPLY if there is anything specific about your health that you'd like my opinion on.