Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator

Further to my first question this evening, is there any advise

Further to my first question this evening, is there any advise for health at this stage is life?>Kindest regards Linda

DrK99 :

Hi I looked at your previous question and I think you want Dr C. I am posting this here in hopes that she will see it. If not, you should go back to your old question and reply to her. Good luck!

Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
Hello again, I did post a response where you replied in the previous question. But I'll cut and paste it here too just in case:

At this stage of life, the most important factors are to keep weight in a healthy range and to stay active and strong. Priority needs to shift to almost daily exercise if possible, with a minimum of brisk walking for 15 minutes, more if possible. At the same time maintaining core body strength, flexibility and balance. Many women begin to loose muscle strength around their spine at this time of life. This can account for some height loss well before bone health deteriorates around the spine. So attention to posture, walking like you're 30 and have a string pulling your head up, with shoulders back and down. Taking a yoga class, Pilates or Tai Chi will keep flexibity, balance and strength around the spine. This will reduce risk of fractures.

Many women also begin to notice slowed metabolism and digestive changes. Paying attention to diet and making changes to eat less and avoid foods that cause digestive upset is helpful.

Please REPLY if there is anything specific about your health that you'd like my opinion on.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr C, Thank you! It is as is suspected, just one thing, how come the need to eat 3 times as much as in ones 40's? It is a constant battle, I am trying with the 5 days eat, 2 day fast regieme, can only manage 1 day at present. I do yoga and my work is active, on feet most of day!

Kindest regards Linda

Yes, the metabolism slows but the desire to eat continues. The fasting may not be the best approach since it puts the body into a starvation mode. This further slows the metabolism and makes keeping weight down even more difficult. Of people who are able to keep their weight in normal range, research shows that:
1. ~ 80% eat breakfast daily
2. ~75% weigh themselves at least once a week, I recommend daily; this allows very quick feedback on how the day went or how it needs to go that day, sometimes weighing twice daily first thing in the morning and just before bed gives the most information
3. ~ 60% watch less than 10 hours of TV or other media weekly
4. 90% exercise ~ 1 hour daily

Not bringing tempting foods into the house helps. People also tend to eat more when there is more variety of food around, so establishing a recipe routine can help (for example, same breakfast every day). Questioning every single food habit is important too. Do all sandwiches need to use 2 slices of bread? Eating in smaller serving bowls helps. Every small thing counts, even that one extra bite of food to finish up the bowl instead of throwing it out or putting it in a container.

Weight control can be incredibly frustrating. Here is an article that really gets to the heart about how frustrating it can be:

I'm not sure any of this will be helpful or make you feel less frustrated with it, but I hope so.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience: 30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator