Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

My periods are normally regular every 30 days or so. My husband

My periods are normally regular every 30 days or so. My husband and I had sex over our fertile days, 19th - 22nd April on Sunday 5th May I experienced cramping and severe bloating in my tummy, the past few days I have been slightly queasy with tender nipples. My period was due on the 5-6th May,but has not come. I tested this morning (8th) but I had a negative result. Would this be somthing to do with my hormone levels, could there be a chance I am still pregnant? Should I wait until next week to test again?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, it is possible you are pregnant. You may have had a false negative result. You tested this morning, but had it been a full 8 hours since you had urinated? Had you had anything to drink overnight?

Customer:

I was awake through the night to drink water, but did not urinate. I urinated in the morning around 8am which was the first of the day.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Since your cycles are every 30 days, the hormone level may still be low in your urine and can be diluted if you are drinking.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Also, did you use a good/brand named test?

Customer:

Yes I used a Clear Blue Digital, which can give results and dates from conception.Could it have been implantation cramping and bloating on Sunday? Does that make sense in the time frame, would you advise I waited longer to test

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I would recommend you wait 48 hours to retest. Yes, mild cramping is often noted this early in pregnancy due to implantation. Bloating is normal at this time of the cycle and can occur with or outside of pregnancy also.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Be sure to use your first urine sample after not drinking or urinating for 8 hours.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

May I address any additional concerns for you?

Customer:

Would you advise that I wait longer wait than 48hours to be safer, I have been told that it is common for people to have a messed up cycle out of the blue. I am normally very regular, so was doubtful about this. The symptoms of tender nipples and queasyness have subsided today, is it normal for this to happen and still be pregnant.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, these symptoms can come and go. The most common reason for a missed period is pregnancy. And when pregnancy tests are negative when taken this early, typically it is an error and women are in fact pregnant. Certainly, there are other causes of delayed/missed periods (stress, illness, travel, surgery, diet/weight changes, etc). However, the most common cause is pregnancy.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

The hormone level in pregnancy doubles every 48-72 hours. So, usually a test would be positive if it is repeated after that time frame if you are pregnant. When was your last period?

Customer:

My last period was on the 8th of April and lasted 3 days, as it does every month.

Customer:

Is there a date on which I should test to give me a clear answer ? I am struggling to work out the days for ovulation, fertilization and implantation which are most accurate. If I'm right I should be near the end of my period in the next, my ovulation was over 19-24th April. Its very confusing!

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If you have every 30 day cycles, you ovulate around the 16th day of your cycle. So, You would have ovulated around April 23rd. What days did you have intercourse?

Customer:

21st or the 22nd

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Ok. This may be close enough to lead to pregnancy. Sometimes it is more difficult to conceive unless you have intercourse on the exact day. However, sperm can survive up to 7 days in your system, so pregnancy is still possible. Given your previous regular cycle, I would still recommend re-testing in 48 hours. You can certainly wait 72 or a week if you'd like. Whichever causes the least amount of stress for you is best.

Customer:

Should I avoid doing Bikram Yoga this evening incase I am in the early stages? Thanks for your help.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You're so welcome. Actually, any exercise you were performing prior to pregnancy your body is already accustomed to and you can continue during your pregnancy. For yoga, you will avoid positions where you are flat on your back after 20 weeks, but other than that you should be strong enough that you are not prone to injury if you have been doing this for a while.

Customer: