Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Hi I discovered yesterday that i had somehow left a tampon

I discovered yesterday that i had somehow left a tampon in for 5 days, i have removed it and feel fine just a bit sore, though have been reading online about TSS and that i should get checked out and am possibly working myself into a bit of a frenzy. I called my local walk-in to ask if i could come in to get checked out but they told me i should go to A & E, i think this isnt really necessary as it will be using up resources for others in need, but now dont know what to do?
Hello, this is Dr K. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

TSS is very rare, you do not need to be overly concerned about it. The tampons highly associated with it were taken off the market. It is also not necessarily associated with leaving a tampon in, it can occur at any time.

You do not need further treatment after leaving a tampon in. The source of possible infection is now removed. There is not any need for antibiotic or douching.

I am sure the soreness is just from removing it. If you develop any other concerning symptoms, be sure to see a Dr.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I read about possibly leaving parts o the tampon in if they came off, although it did look intact, so I don't need to be examined for anything else?
No You do not need to be examined. If it was intact you are fine. This happens frequently and we remove them all the time. Nothing ever results from it. Not to worry.
Thank you for your rating.