Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
18703594

I had a serious dog bite (24 stitches and 4 days in hospital

I had a serious dog bite (24 stitches and 4 days in hospital to clean and flush the wound) 3 years ago and since then I have bad pain spasms in the scar tissue in my upper arm 3 or 4 times a day nearly every day. I have been prescribed Gabapentin and Oramorph on demand. I seem to be stuck in a rut with no significant improvement in recent months. I am at the end of my tether, unable to drive due to the medication. Is there any other medication I can ask my GP about as I am getting nowhere at the moment. Please help.
Regards,
Melissa (UK)
What other medications are you taking now?

Has the wound healed?

What have you tried to help the pain besides medications?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am only taking Gabapentin and Oromorph on demand. The wound healed a long time ago. Progress has ground to a halt. Any ideas on other treatment you can recommend?

Two medications I would use are Ultram (also known as tramadol), plus also Lyrica (similar to gabapentin - but the next generation). Plus I would suggest getting OFF the oromorph - staying on a narcotic actually can worsen problems with pain - so I would get of the oromorph.

Next - as for physical therapy - I see you have done some - but doing physical therapy as if you were an Athlete - - so doing 'Dynamic' PHysical Therapy is what is needed - and this will hurt initially when doing it - but it is what is needed.

I would also suggest getting an EMG - to map out the nerve and where the root of the pain is originating from - that is what you should do - as you might just have a problem with an Impingement of the nerves and hence solving that might be all you need to have done -

I wish you well
Please click on Excellent for helping
thank you