How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11289
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

At the age of 36 nearly 37 ( this month) when would you start

Customer Question

At the age of 36 nearly 37 ( this month) when would you start to enquire about the possiblity of having a fertility issue. Currently I have been trying for 6 months and have had initial tests done all of which have shown up no issues. Should I keep trying or request more tests?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

What tests have you had done?
How regular are your periods?
Do you know whether you ovulate, and if so, when? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had blood tests done to show I ovulate and to test my progesterone levels are ok to conceive. I also had a ultrasound done on my womb to check if there was any visible issues. All tests have come back prefect. My periods are every 28 to 30 days and I ovulate around day 14 every month.

Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Since you know that you're ovulating regularly, I would probably keep trying for another 3 months or so. It may be helpful to use ovulation predictor testing, since it can help be sure you're having sex soon before ovulating.

Hopefully you'll be pregnant within 3 more months. If not, I think it would be worthwhile to see a fertility specialist, mainly because of your age. Fertility decreases with age for all women, especially after the age of 35. There are some specific tests that can be done which help to measure ovarian reserve. If these tests are good, you can keep trying, with good chance of success. In case the tests of ovarian reserve aren't good, then you can discuss with the fertility specialist what might be done to help you to get pregnant sooner.

If you're not pregnant in 1 year of trying, then your partner's sperm count should be checked, plus a test to be sure that your tubes are open and normal. If you've ever had an infection in your tubes (not simple vaginal infections), then the tube test (hysterosalpingogram, or HSG) should be done sooner.

I hope that's helpful. Hopefully you'll be pregnant soon. Good luck!