How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Owen Your Own Question
Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr Owen is online now

I had a smear test on Monday (my first one). The smear itself

This answer was rated:

I had a smear test on Monday (my first one). The smear itself was the worst pain I have ever felt (maybe because I am not sexually active). I am still in pain today (a burning feeling) should I be worried?
Do you have any discharge?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No strange discharge.
Is the pain getting worse, the same or better?
Have you tried anything for the pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The pain is slowly getting worse. I have been using ibuprofen for it.
Does the Ibuprofen help at all?
Are you sexually active?
And, are you itching at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I am not sexually active. No, ibuprofen doesn't really help. It can switch from burning to being itchy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
However I have been shifting my position around instead of scratching.
Usually a PAP smear should not be painful for so many days after you have had this done and it sounds like either one or two possible things you have...
The first is that you probably have had a laceration to the vaginal tissue - especially if you have a small vaginal opening and you are not sexually active - and this can cause all the symptoms you have and as long as you are not bleeding Heavily - this will heal on its own.
The next - you might have a coincidental yeast infection - which can cause burning, irritation, pain - and hence you can try an over the counter product medication called Clotrimazole (this is also known as Gynelotrimin, Mycelex or Canestan - depending on where you live) - and you can safely try this and this should help you.
USE of the clotrimazole is safe and should provide you with relief.
I wish you well
If you have more questions, please ask
please click on EXCELLENT for helping you
thank you
Dr Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you