How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Owen Your Own Question
Dr Owen
Dr Owen, Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board certified Ob/Gyn
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr Owen is online now

I have noticed a strange smell, I have no abnormal discharge

This answer was rated:

I have noticed a strange smell, I have no abnormal discharge no symptoms what so ever only this horrid smell - which is not there all the time it's worse during my period and after/during sex, but it changes when I have sex it's like a fishy smell and at other times it's more a rotten meat/feaces smell ???
Dr Owen :

where is the smell - is it vaginal?

Dr Owen :

if after sex - like you say it is - then this is called BV.

Customer: It not just after sex, it's just that is the only time it smells fishy any other time it's like I said a rotten meat or feaces like smell
Dr Owen :

What is your age?

Dr Owen :

Have you had children delivered vaginally?

Customer: No children I'm 32
Dr Owen :

Well what is going on is that this is an OVER growth of your Normal vaginal bacteria that you normally have that protects the vagina - and what is happening is that when you have sex or other activities - the pH balance increases and causes excess bacteria to grow and hence you get what is known as BV - Bacteria Vaginosis - and so here is what YOU can do to help this.

1. You can buy something called RepHresh PRO B and RepHresh vaginal gel and use this before you have sex and this should help.

2. If necessary - you might need to get a prescription to an antibiotic to flagyl - but if you are not having this problem all the time and just due to sex - then you will only need the RepHresh.

Summers eve and other douches really will not help - you need a Probiotic such as RepHresh.

I wish you well
Please click on EXCELLENT for helping you (please do not click on poor or bad, that just hurts me)
thank you

Dr Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you