Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Hi again. I have discussed HRT after my hysterectomy and BSO

Hi again. I have discussed HRT after my hysterectomy and BSO with the gynaecologist. He suggested I start on Evorel 50 Hrt patches. I have suffered from severe PMT for many years, and I have a strong family history of Heart Disease, Diabetes, Stroke. Do you think it is more beneficial to start on Evorel 100. Also I am 47 years old, fit and well, do you think having my ovaries removed will increase my risk of Coronary Heart Disease, or will my HRT reduce the risk. Thank You
Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Your ovaries will stop functioning on their own in an average of 3 years. So it does not matter if you have them out and go on hormones, your risk of heart disease is the same.

Dr. K. :

Hormones do not really help your risk of heart disease much, as we believed in the patch.

Dr. K. :

The choice of hormone therapy should be yours.'

Dr. K. :

If you prefer to start with the higher dose, you may have an easier transition.

Dr. K. :

It may be best to eventually get down to the lower dose but its not necessary nor beneficial to start with it.

Dr. K. :

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am 47 years old having my vaginal hysterectomy and ovaries removed on Monday. I am having my ovaries removed because I have severe PMT.I also have fibroids. I do not want to have mood swings after. Can I put my Evorel 100 patch on immediately after my surgery

You should wait about 2 days until you are up and ambulating. This avoids risk of blood clot. You will not have symptoms if you do this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am currently taking HRT climigest 1mg. I am currently on the first cycle of oestrogen. Can I continue to take until Sunday, Then my op is Monday

Yes you can. It does not change your risk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had an excellent response from you, thank you. I have rated your answers as excellent, and paid a bonus. Thank you again

Thats such a nice compliment . Thank you so much!