How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11296
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

, i was took to A and E ladt october with severe abdiminal

This answer was rated:

Hi, i was took to A and E ladt october with severe abdiminal pain. A doctor there said it could be endometriosis. But told me to see my gp. I have seen 2 different doctors about 6 times and still nothings being done. My symptoms are: heavy clotting painful periods, extreme tiredness, abdominal pain, bloating, pain when needing to go toilet to pass stools, leg pains, bleeding between periods. The pain gets so serve i'll end up curled up on the floor crying. Could it be endometriosis and how can i get the doctord to listen to me?
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Have you tried regular birth control pills? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been told that i cant use the normal birth control pill because i smoke and have family history of blood clots. I was also trying for baby although unsuccesful now for 2 years

Have you seen a doctor about helping you to get pregnant?
Have you seen an OB/GYN specialist? Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a told doctors all my symptoms and they just keep sending me away with tablets. The last doctor i saw said "its bowel problems" so i replied "how is bowel problem when i already told u im having painful clotting periods, pain during periods, pain when im not on periods, bleeding between periods, so exhausted all the time and cant get pregnant" then she said to me "oh, yeah come back in a few weeks again in the mean time try these bowel tablets" i have seen her 3 times, another doctor 2 times. No body is listening and the pain gets so serve at times.

For most women with heavy painful periods, regular birth control pills are the best answer, since they always make periods lighter, and take care of most pain associated with periods. A family history of blood clots doesn't necessarily mean you can't take them, but perhaps with the smoking, it might not be a good idea.
The pill may or may not help you a lot, and perhaps you do have endometriosis, since you have pain with bowel movements, which probably wouldn't be helped by the pill.
And since you wish to get pregnant, taking birth control pills won't help with that. Since you've been trying for 2 years, you need an evaluation to figure out why you haven't gotten pregnant. Your GP could do much of that, but it sounds like they're not.
The best would be to get referred to an OB/GYN, both for the pain, period problems, and to help you get pregnant. If that's not possible, perhaps you could stop smoking and get your doctor to give you regular birth control pills. That will probably make your periods much better, but it won't help you to get pregnant.
You might have endometriosis, but the problem is that surgery is usually required to make the diagnosis. That would be a laparoscopy, which is to look through a scope inserted unter your navel. It's only done by OB/GYN doctors.
If your periods are very regular, and you haven't had an infection in your tubes, then there is a good chance that the problem is with the sperm. Any doctor can order a sperm count for your partner.
So the best would be to get referred to an OB/GYN doctor. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. How do i get referred to a ob/gyn? Do i just ask my doctor? Because im not sure if they will even refer me or not.

I practice in the US, so I don't understand how things work in the UK. I believe you can request a referral from your GP. I think if you explain to them how they are not helping you with your pain or with getting pregnant, hopefully they would refer you.
Dr. Norm S. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your payment and rating.