Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

A condom malfunction on withdrawal. Partner started pill 3

A condom malfunction on withdrawal. Partner started pill 3 days ago.LMP 10 days ago. Has taken morning after pill today. Wondering if an emergency coil is necessary. given conflicting advice
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
The morning after pill is highly effective, although a copper IUD is even more effective.
The morning after pill will prevent more than 90% of pregnancies that otherwise would have occurred. The copper T will prevent more than 99% of pregnancies that otherwise would have occurred.
So the likelihood of pregnancy is pretty small. If a pregnancy would be a true disaster, you might want to consider the IUD. Best wishes to you both.
Thank you for your payment.