Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am pregnant at 6 weeks 2 days. I did my Progesterone blood

I am pregnant at 6 weeks 2 days. I did my Progesterone blood test and my result is 49.2 nmol/L. Is it low and do I have chances of miscarriage? Should I ask my doctor for supplements?
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Have you had an ultrasound?
Have you miscarried before?
Why was the progesterone test done? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dr. Nom,

I have not yet had an ultrasound. It's scheduled for Monday 18th May.

Yes, I had a miscarriage in 2011 at 4 weeks 4 days.

I did the progesterone test pro-actively with common knowledge that progesterone is primarily responsible for holding the baby.

Ruchita

Your progesterone level is completely normal.
When progesterone is low, it's usually because of a bad pregnancy. It's fairly rare to have a miscarriage due to low progesterone. If it's a bad pregnancy, giving progesterone supplements won't help, although they can prolong the time before miscarriage.
The best way to know how the baby is doing is by ultrasound. A heartbeat after 6 weeks generally means that the baby is fine and won't miscarry. Best wishes.
Thank you for your payment and rating.