How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 3064
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now

I have a constant 'bruised' aching pain in my lower right side,

This answer was rated:

I have a constant 'bruised' aching pain in my lower right side, around my C-section scar. I had a c section 6 years ago and the scar feels tender and lumpy to touch, just on the right half. The pain makes me feel sick and I am constipated and there is no relief even after pooping using laxatives. I have had a sigmoidoscopy and ultrasound, neither showed anything. This pain is depressing me and I am finding it hard to get on with every day tasks. The doctor has dismissed a hernia and adhesions, although I think either is likely!! The pain is worse when I am sitting down or driving and nothing seems to completely ease it, but laying down seems to help a little. Any suggestions? thanks
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** and I'll be providing your medical information today.

This type of pain after c-section is actually more common than people realize. If other causes have been eliminated (bowel, bladder, ovary, uterus), the next step would be to treat it as if it is from the c-section scar. Two ways of proceeding would be referral to a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor rehabilitation or with acupuncture treatmnet of the scar itself. Another option would be to see an ob-gyne who has a special interest in pelvic pain. They would determine what layer of tissue the pain is coming from. In layers closer to the skin, some pain experts could do injection of local anesthetic as a test to see if that eliminates the pain. The scar itself could also be carefully ultrasounded or otherwise imaged to look for areas of thickening or collections of fluid in the scar or layers around the scar. Usually, once you get care with a doctor who has an interest in pelvic pain, there can be a solution found.

I hope this information was helpful. Good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. I will try to get my gp to refer me to a gynaecologist, but what their speciality will be is hit and miss as it is the NHS. If it is anything like last time, I will have a 6 month wait. I think the pain is worse when there is poop in the bowel around that area. Can a full bowel press on the scar tissue?
Yes, a full bowel can cause pressure on all of the structures in the pelvis. Meanwhile, you can try doing some abdominal self-massage. The way to do this is to drink some warm chamomile tea, then lay on the floor with a pillow under the knees to relax the abdominal muscles. Relax the whole body, making sure shoulders and legs are relaxed, taking big full slow deep belly breathes. Then gently and slowly, starting at the belly button, massage in a circles making sure not to tense up the shoulders or legs as you work around. Go around in a circles, making the circles wider. Check in often that you're full breathing and the shoulders and legs stay relaxed. If you come to a painful spot, try to breathe and relax into it. Sometimes jiggling or tapping will help release the painful sensation. You may also by doing this, get a better sense of exactly the location and how deep in the tender spot is. It may be in the skin layer, at the muscles layer or deeper.

I'm sorry that NHS is so slow in getting you appropriate help. Be sure to mention you need evalation for "chronicpelvic pain possibly related to a c-section scar".

I hope you get proper care soon and a solution. Living with chronic pain is hard. Good luck!
Dr. C. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you