How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 3064
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now

I have a selection of little spots/bumps near my vaginal

This answer was rated:

I have a selection of little spots/bumps near my vaginal opening, they are the same colour to the surrounding the skin, but look rough and bumpy. I haven't noticed these before, they appear in a big group at one side of the vaginal opening. I have recently had thrush and have noticed them after my episode of thrush, I took the over the counter thrush tablet and had sex the following day. I have recently had an std test for clymidia and gonnorea and both came back negative. I have been having frequent and a lot of sex with one sexual partner who has been checked and clear of stds, is this what has given me the bumps from friction from the frequent sex? I am worried I have something.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Obgyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. Most likely these are just sebaceous glands, the skin glands that provide moisture for the area. They can enlarge and become visible or sometimes a woman who is worried looks closely and sees something that actually has been there all along. It would help if you could attach a photo of the area into this QA so I can verify. But almost always it's just the normal gland openings. They can be uneven from side to side and change appearance over time. Please reply with questions and a photo if possible. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here is an image of what I am referring to, the selection of little bumps to the left of my vaginal opening. :(

Thanks for the image. Just to be clear, I see 2 different areas of "bumpiness". On your right (the left of the image but your right side) I see some prominent glands. The entire surface really. The only other possibility is HPV but it would be very uncommon for it to be cover so much surface. The way to tell the difference is to apply some regular white vinegar to the area with a washcloth held over it for 2 minutes. If it's HPV, all the bumps will turn VERY bright white. If it's just glands, the tips of each pore may turn slightly whitish but not the entire bump. If HPV, I'd expect it to look like white mosaic tiles. I doubt very much this is what is going on but worth checking. The other thing I see on your left (the right of the image) lower down is some "razor burn". I don't think that's what you're talking about but that's another thing I see. I hope this was helpful. Any more questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I was referring the bumpiness that covers the inner labia section, the left of the photo. This doesn't look like it could be herpes, I have had a std test but wasn't given results for herpes. If this is just prominent glands, is it normal for them to be so large and bumpy looking? And is hpv something I can easily treat? Thank you, ***** ***** been very helpful, I'm scared to go to the doctors, but I shall be making an appointment to ease my mind.
It absolutely does not look like herpes, not even slightly. Yes it looks most like prominent glands to me. Some women have this kind of variation, I've seen it before. It looks a little like HPV but when I do the vinegar test in the office, it's negative (doesn't turn bright white). Then I just make a note in the patients chart that she has this variation. It's not worrisome or harmful. Even if it is HPV (which I don't think it is) usually it will go away by itself within a few months. There is a green tea extract product called Veregen that can speed up the process but it requires a prescription. An at home version would be to apply warm green tea bags to the area. But it really does look like prominent glands. I'm glad this has been helpful. Anything else for today?
Dr. C. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you