How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K. Your Own Question
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. K. is online now

There - I am a 35 year old hoping to get pregnant next year

Customer Question

Hi there - I am a 35 year old hoping to get pregnant next year for the first time. I have a focal atrial tachycardia and underwent a catheter ablation two years ago. It was unsuccessful and now I rely on beta blockers. I have a different consultant cardiologist any time I visit - and can never seem to get a good answer as to whether I can have a natural birth (as much as any woman can know!) or a healthy pregnancy while taking a beta blocker. Also I have been told by some the pregnancy could be a strain, while others say I'll have no problems any more than a normal person etc. I still want to get pregnant, I'd just like to have some knowledge and be prepared :)
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Beta blockers can be used in pregnancy. Some are safer than others-they are all categorized as fda category b or c. Your tachycardia may worsen in pregnancy due to hormone levels and blood volume changes This may cause need to increase the dose. Normal delivery would be preferred as this is not a contraindication to pushing. If you have any heart damage or failure, pregnancy would not be recommended as it would place a strain on the heart. While you will have more issues than a normal person, pregnancy is not contraindicated and beta blockers can be used. A cardiologist is not the one to consult regarding this issue. See a Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist prior to conceiving.