How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11298
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

Is it possible to have a child via IVF or ICSI if the

This answer was rated:

Is it possible to have a child via IVF or ICSI if the man has had a vasectomy?
Thank you.
How long has it been since the vasectomy?How old is your partner with whom you wish to have the child?Do you want only one child, or perhaps more? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
15 Years since vasectomy. 40 year old partner. Her child is 6 years old. Only one child wanted.
Thank you.
Hello Lance,It is usually possible to have a child via IVF using ICSI if the man has had a vasectomy. There are a number of factors to consider.The main factor may be your partner's age. The success rate of IVF (with or without ICSI) decreases with the woman's age. The reason is that a woman's eggs are the same age as she is, and older eggs don't work as well for pregnancy.In general, chance of a live birth from each cycle of IVF at age 38-40 is around 28%, and at age 40-42 is around 16%. You could go here to enter various factors that help predict success.The other thing to consider is that it is often more cost effective and easier to do a vasectomy reversal rather than IVF and ICSI - see here it's best to discuss this with an IVF clinic where they do ICSI, and then perhaps also discuss it with a doctor who is good at vasectomy reversals. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you