How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 11298
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

I'm a 23 y/o female and am not currently trying to conceive.

Customer Question

I'm a 23 y/o female and am not currently trying to conceive. In fact, I think I would like to delay having children until I'm about 30. I'm having some concerns about my fertility, and am wondering if it would be foolish to wait so long until I start trying to conceive. My biggest fear is that I'll start trying to conceive when I'm about 30, but encounter a problem I wouldn't have had if I was younger, and then never be able to have children. I'm worried mostly because I had an infection with chlamydia when I was about 18... I've read a lot about this leading to PID which can in turn lead to blocked Fallopian tubes and infertility. I had the infection for about 4 or 5 months until I found out about it and took antibiotics. Do you think that amount of time is long enough for it to have turned into PID? If it did, would the PID have gone when the chlamydia went? I don't have any symptoms at all at the moment and haven't since I took the treatment for he chlamydia. However during the infection I had symptoms that seem to be more associated with PID than with just chlamydia... These included a greenish yellow and smelly discharge. I also had one extremely heavy period and then an a sense of periods for a few months after. I remember speaking to a doctor about the unusual periods and she told me it was just a 'blip' but after some recent research I've been doing it looks as though that could be the symptoms of PID. Do you think it is likely that I had PID? would it have disappeared along with the chlamydia if so? Is it possible that I still have PID left over now years after the chlamydia went? I've read about HSGs to diagnose blocked tubes.... I think I would rather know now if I'm going to have problems trying to conceive so I could start trying sooner rather than later.... Is it unheard of for people who aren't currently trying to conceive to have a HSG just for peace of mind? Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Chlamydia is called the "silent" STD, but I believe that most women that have PID from chlamydia will have pelvic discomfort. A heavy period period or spotting could be signs of PID, but I don't think absent periods would be.4-5 months is certainly a long enough time for PID to develop and damage the tubes.If there was PID, it would usually resolve with the antibiotics, especially when it's so mild as no cause no or almost no symptoms.In any case, an HSG would help to know whether you have any tubal blockage or damage.It is not too unusual to do an HSG in circumstances such as yours, where it may be important to know the condition of the tubes. I would discuss it with your doctor.I understand your concern, but I have seen many women with a past history of chlamydia diagnosed by routine testing who have gone on to have children with no difficulty and with completely normal fertility. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the response!
I've worked out more precisely that it was about 3 and a half months that I had the chlamydia, in assuming that it still long enough to have got PID?
Also do you think there is any chance that I could still have the PID now and it is still doing me damage? I don't have any symptoms at the moment... Although am on the pill so any abnormal bleeding might be masked. Could I ask my doctor to test for PID or do you think it's unlikely that they would given the circumstances?
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
3 months is long enough to get PID.I think it's highly unlikely that you still have any PID now.There is no test for PID. It's a diagnosis made on clinical grounds (history and pelvic exam) when a woman has pelvic pain.