How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS Your Own Question
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 1889
Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS is online now

I have been suffering with genital tears since October.

Customer Question

Hi. I have been suffering with genital tears since October. In October I was diagnosed with an anal fissure due to constipation which has now healed. A few weeks ago I found another tear on my labia, immediately I freaked out and went to the GUM clinic the next day. They said it was likely a friction sore but took a swab anyway to rule out HSV which came back negative. Yesterday I found another tear right by my vaginal opening. It is slightly itchy, particularly when I walk cause my underwear may be rubbing on it or the discharge is making it sore. I have been battling with discharge for the past year and a half. I had bad smelling brown discharge for about 8 months for which I was given two courses of metronidazole which cleared it for a week but it then came back again. Eventually this discharge stopped in September but I am still getting lots and lots of white/slightly yellow discharge. I have had numerous swabs done & pelvic exams and everything comes back negative or they tell me I look healthy. I also had a pelvic ultrasound and this was normal also. I have attached some pictures what I think is the tear is just to the right of the vaginal opening, I don't know if you can see but if you zoom in you can see that the skin at the bottom is also white and flaky. I have also tried canesten treatment about a month ago but this only made a small difference. I have also just come off my oral contraceptive pill about 3 weeks ago. I am also extremely stressed and my GP has referred me to a therapy service to help me deal with my anxiety. I have not been sexually active for about s year. All I want to be able to do is wear a nice pair of underwear and not walk around feeling damp and uncomfortable all the time. Do I need to worry about an underlying condition that may be causing all these symptoms or could it be reccuring BV or thrush(although I have never tested positive on swabs for either of these infections) I'm so confused and just want some answers so I can move on with my life.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also have follicitus at the moment. I have just been for a bowel movement and there was a small amount of blood in it and lots of tiny black specks?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've also just got back from walking my dog and my Vulva is covered in discharge & the area is really hot/burning.
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 2 years ago.
HelloI have seen the image carefully and I am sure that you are having with fungal infection which may be recurrent in nature. The treatment should beTab fluconazole (150) twice daily till the symptoms disappear and continue one tab weekly for 6 weeks to prevent further infection.Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible that I may have thrush even though the Swab I had done about 4/5 weeks ago was negative & I've never tested positive for it?
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is sometimes possible to have negative swab test despite having the infection and in that case swab culture to be done.Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't understand?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what tests shall I request my GP to do Tomorow?
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 2 years ago.
Normally swab taken from vagina is seen under microscope after proper stain to see any infection and sometimes iy may false negative result and in that case swab culture has to be done as you are clinically symptomatic.
So you should ask for swab culture test.
Thank you