How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K. Your Own Question
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 4835
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. K. is online now

I have a paper cut like lesion by the opening of my vagina.

This answer was rated:

I have a paper cut like lesion by the opening of my vagina. My vagina is hot & burning. I am also experiencing lots of discharge. It also stings a little when I pee. Is this a yeast Infection? I have attached some photos.the skin is also dry & flaky.
I do not see anything like a paper cut. Linear tears can be due to herpes infection. If you are at risk for std's you should see a Dr and be tested. If you are not at risk for std's you can treat yourself with an over the counter yeast medication like Canestan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had tests for std's all came back negative. I had a friction sore swabbed for HSV a few weeks back but it came back negative. Have been to the clinic today & they have taken more swabs but say an infective cause is unlikely as none of my previous swabs have been positive & I havnt slept with anyone since they were last done. She said my posterior fourchette is quite red & sore so she swabbed that area & did a swab for yeast & gave me some cream to put on it. I have a follow up in 2 weeks time with her. I've also suffered with an Anal fissure but this had supposedly healed but there was blood in my stool & a few little black flecks on Friday morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you don't see anything abnormal in the photo?
No not really except redness I think you should treat for yeast infection. Using an external cream is not enough
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The GU doctor said not to use the thrush treatment as there is no thrush. S
Ok I guess I do not agree
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've had swabs done for chlamydia, Gonnoreah, yeast, BV, trich all negative. Had a small sore on Vulva which lasted for 3 days about 2 weeks ago which they swabbed for HSV but it came back negative. Is there anything that could of possibly been missed here or any further tests you think I should request? I've also had a pelvic ultrasound which was normal. My GP has said everything has been ruled out. The GU doctor at the clinic has written to my GP to ask if there is any chance I can be referred to a dermatologist, are there any non-std skin conditions that could cause these symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've been suffering with the discharge & discomfort for over a year now although last weekend was the first time I've experience the stinging when I pee. However this was only on Saturday it was sore to pee on Sunday it was fine again? I'm so confused.
You cannot have a "swab" for yeast. Again this looks like a yeast infection that needs to be treated. Another condition that may be a possibility is desquamative vagintitis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So do you think It would be a good thing for my GP to refer me to a dermatologist for this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, the GU Doctor said that when she looked at the swabs under the microscope there wasn't many of the normal type cells( or whatever the technical term is for it) that she would expect to see. She then asked me had if I had been overwashing the area which I havnt, does this point to anything?
No I dont think you need a dermatologist, as I mentioned above, You need a yeast treatment. Some types of yeast cause no discharge, just redness and inflammation. I would recommend a clotrimazole 3 day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a canesten pessary & external cream will that be ok?
Yes that would be great
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How accurate is the culture test for herpes? I'm completely paranoid that I have it! Can I be sure by the negative swab that I don't?
No you cant be sure at all It is only 60% sensitive meaning it is positive only 60 percent of the time when herpes is present.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a test I can do to be sure?
No there is not. Im sorry
Dr. K. and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can it be detected on a blood test?