Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Why is it more difficult to achieve in the menopause.My

Why is it more difficult to achieve orgasm in the menopause.My age 69,and is there anything that can be done about it?
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. I'm sorry that you're having trouble with orgasm. There are several possible causes. Usually it has to do with decreased blood flow to the area, lowered estrogen levels leading to poorer tissue health and changes in the nerves leading to the clitoris. The main things that will be protective and possible reverse the difficulty to some degree are: 1. anything that improves the blood flow, such as aerobic exercise, not smoking, keeping weight in good range, dealing with cholesterol and diabetes (avoiding getting these is best) 2. using a low dose of genital estrogen, this can come in cream, tablet or ring form and are placed inside the vagina on a regular basis depending on which product is used; all require a prescription; estrogen by itself will improve blood flow and improve tissue quality, some women get scarring around the clitoris from low estrogen levels, estrogen applied can treat and reverse that 3. addressing nerve issues, surprisingly, the nerves leading to the clitoris can be strongly impacted by lower back health and pelvic floor weaknesses or nerve compression; sometimes a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor issues can detect and treat these types of issues; nerve health is also impacted by nutrition and vitamin intake and absorption; again a good diet and avoiding diabetes, etc will mean the nerves are more likely to stay healthy Those are the 3 most common things we think of addressing. I hope this information was helpful and gives you a good place to work from.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your info.I think the genital oestrogen cream will be the best option,as I am fit and slim,also a keen rower.Would taking aspirin help?My cholesterol is fine and I don,t have diabetes.
It's possible that taking low dose aspirin daily could help. In many studies, taking a baby aspirin daily was shown to reduce risk of cardio-vascular disease. That would be expected to help maintain a good blood flow to the genitals. Anything else I can help with today?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think you have covered everything.Ageing takes it,s toll and I have to accept it.