How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Your Own Question
Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 3064
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. C. is online now

I have a problem. I have a sore on my vulva that is worrying

Customer Question

HI, I have a problem. I have a sore on my vulva that is worrying me, it is very itchy and painful as well. It has been there for over two weeks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is localized and has not spread or healed.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. I'm sorry to hear about this worrying sore. It would be most helpful if you could attach an image of it for me to see. It's not possible to tell what may be going on without seeing the area. You can use the paperclip icon on your screen.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You see it is whitish in color, only on the left side of the vulva. I have also been having trouble with sex. I have had the same boyfriend for years and this is a sudden problem where it hurts to enter the vagina.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the images. They're a little blurry and hard for me to tell what area you're talking about. Is it the whitish area on the left fold around the clitoris? It would help if you could circle the area of concern. But if that is the area, the most likely thing going on is a skin condition related to eczema or psoriasis. Those can cause whitish itchy patches that sometimes cause the skin to crack and sores to form, somewhat like paper cuts. If that is what we suspect, we'd have a woman use a steroid cream like hydrocortisone. If a woman already has a history of eczema or psoriasis, she could use the steroid cream or ointment she's already been prescribed. If she doesn't already have such a cream prescribed and the over the counter version hydrocortisone isn't helping enough, she could get a proper cream or ointment prescribed. A typical one would be Clobetasol. I hope this was helpful and reassuring. If it wasn't the whitish area, then please do use an image software to circle the area and if possible with an image more in focus. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had a history of dry skin and have used hydrocortisone cream before. However, I tried using it on the area and it did not help whatsoever. Is there any other information I could provide you with that might give you a better idea of what's going on? I'm sorry the images are blurry.. It's kind of hard to get a picture down there...
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
I've circled the spot I think you're talking about. Here it is attached. Is this the right spot? If so, I think you need a stronger steroid than Hydrocortisone. It would be a prescription called Clobetasol or something similar. If that's not the spot, then I would need you to circle the area you mean. You can use a program like "Paint" to circle the spot with the pencil icon like I did.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Here it is.