Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I have several small, smooth purplish /black colored bumps

I have several small, smooth purplish /black colored bumps on my labia majora. I noticed this after i cut myself shaving with a trimmer so i figured it was from that and would heal. However, its been about 4 weeks and looks the same. I also see pinprick sized same colored dots by the labia minora that are not raised. Any idea what this could be? Do you think this is an std??

I'm pretty sure that it's not an STD. I don't know of any STD that causes purplish colored bumps.

Purple/black bumps are not uncommon on the labia. They are sometimes from moles, and sometimes from dilated blood vessels.

However, malignant melanoma can also occur on the labia. Although I think it's not likely, I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation. If there is any question, one or more of the bumps can be removed under local anesthesia and examined with a microscope. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to attach this picture earlier

My answer is still the same. It's difficult to be very sure when looking at a photo. Your doctor will be able to tell much better seeing you in person.

Thank you for your payment and rating.