How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tim, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board Cert. OB/GYN
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 1011
Experience:  General OB/GYN, complicated obstetrics, complicated GYN
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Tim, MD is online now

I recently had an unltrasound scan to find a cause of my

This answer was rated:

I recently had an unltrasound scan to find a cause of my swallon painful abdonmal along with other symtoms and its confirmed I have PCOS as but that was comfirmed ages sgo before this scan. The lady who preformed the scan subspected it could be emdomitriosis as my right ovarie does not move freely as it should and that is where my pain comes from and affects my hip and leg too. However, I went back to my gp and she said nothing of emdomitriosis. Does PCOS affect hips, legs and lower back? Cause I feel frustrated and confused.

Thank you for the question and I am happy to help.

I understand your frustration and confusion. PCOS and endometriosis are two different problems. PCOS is a condition where you do not ovulate regularly. This leads to irregular cycles, missed cycles, fertility problems and abnormal breakthrough bleeding. It is not typically associated with pain but you can get pelvic pain related to the ovarian cysts that are related to this syndrome.

But regardless of the PCOS diagnosis, it sounds like you have pelvic pain that localizes within the pelvis and the ovary appears to be immobile on the pelvic ultrasound and at the site of your pain. This can be associated with endometriosis for sure. The best was to diagnosis this is with a laparoscopy which is a surgery through small incisions on your abdomen.

You need a referral to an OB/GYN to evaluate and treat these two problems. Does this make sense?

Dr. Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does, although my gp said she doesnt thinks I need to be reffered to a specialist and said she couldnt be anymore help than that. So I wouldnt know how else to go about it and this is what frustrates me also.
I had an internal scan and even when she turned to the right, it was painful which is the side the ovary doesnt move. They also said I have a tilted pelvis. Could that be the cause of my pain too?

Thank you for the follow up. Yes, this is frustrating and you need the referral to an OB/GYN. In most systems, you do not need a referral to go to an OB/GYN since we are also considered Primary Care Doctors. You might consider calling an OB/GYN office and ask if you can make an appointment as a 'new patient'.

The uterus is usually tilted slightly forward towards the front of your abdomen. The tilt of the uterus is not really a huge issue. If it is severely tilted back, this can be a source of pain, but I do not think that it explains what you are describing.

Does this answer your questions?

Dr. Tim

Please remember to provide a POSITIVE RATING. Thank you.

Dr. TIm

Dr. Tim, MD and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does thank you.

You are very welcome.

Dr. Tim