Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.

I always have regular heavy periods that require use of both

Customer Question

I always have regular heavy periods that require use of both tampons and pads and I often experience leaking despite double protection, however at the moment I am into my fourth week of bleeding and no sign of letting up. In the last week I have started loosing multiple clots and experiencing increased abdominal pain that is dibilitating. I am 45 years of age and wondering if this could be due to onset of menapause or should I be concerned?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 months ago.
Four weeks of heavy bleeding is concerning. While this is common around the perimenopause, due to decreasing levels of progesterone, this degree of bleeding requires medical attention. I would suggest calling your gyn for an appointment this week. Going to the emergency room is not generally helpful. Your gyn can do a biopsy called an endometrial biopsy to be sure nothing more serious is going on. Progesterone given orally can usually stop the bleeding.