Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am looking for advice on uterine fibroids/polyps, and

I am looking for advice on uterine fibroids/polyps, and their symptoms whilst awaiting a hysteroscopy.I had a camera inserted into my uterus around 18 months ago and a biopsy was taken from my uterus wall. Results came back normal with just a small amount of thickening.This time last year I noticed my periods were becoming longer, heavier, more unpredictable and irregular. And I now have an appointment for another camera and biopsy on 18th August.Over the last few weeks I have noticed some slight constipation, some back pain/sciatica, and a bloated stomach. This is worrying me a lot more than I want to be, as I have my honeymoon on 31st July for 2 weeks and I don't want to be worrying about this.I am wondering that although some 18 months have passed since my camera, could anything have significantly changed in this time? I worry about female cancers or hysterectomies. I also worry if this is common and what the success rate of treating any fibroids/polyps without complications is.The hospital have only ever mentioned about polyps and thickening of the wall, never about fibroids. So I am wondering if these are the same thing. I also have PCOS diagnosed many years ago.Also I had an ultrasound 6-8 months ago before I was sent for my camera. If there was a large polyp or fibroid which was cause for concern, would there have been more of a rush in my appointment for the Hysteroscopy?I would like to feel more positive about all of this, and not dread what the camera or biopsy results will be. Should I be happy to wait for 18th August for this appointment?Thank you in advance
Jayne
Hi Jayne, how old are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiI am 26,
most likely your symptoms are due to hormonal issues. There's no reason at all a 26 year old should have 2 hysteroscopies in an 18 month time frame. There's little reason for one. Polyps and fibroids are not common in young women. I think you should cancel the hysteroscopy and find yourself a new Dr.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thickening of the womb last time that was found from the hysteroscopy? Is this also rare to have changed and be no cause for concern? I am recently married and wanting to start a family in time, I am concerned about doing this while I am being investigated for these problems. I do believe it to be unusual also from some research I have done myself. As last time there was no issue found other than the slight thickening, I should not be worried?Thank you for your response
Jayne
What "thickening " was found. ? You're menstruating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently The wall of my womb was thicker than normal, even taking into account menstration.
The wall of your uterus cannot be thick. Do you mean the endometrial lining? What was the biopsy result?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Endometrial lining sorry yes. The biopsy came back normal just a slight build up of the endometrial lining (I wasn't sure of the correct term to use sorry!). Then after more and more abnormal bleeding, between periods, very long periods, they suspected a polyp. I had an ultrasound scan and then I was referred for another camera into the uterus and another biopsy. Of corse this worried me and I was very curious of a second opinion on this hence me paying to get in touch with you.
You don't seem worried by my symptoms which has put my mind slightly more at ease. I was more wondering of what could have changed down there since my last camera and biopsy.
Thanks again for replying with me.
If the biopsy was normal, then ther is NOT a slight buildup of the endometrial lining. A young woman is unlikely to have a polyp. You've already had a normal biopsy. You really should consider going on the pill for 3-6 months or until you want to conceive. You do not need more surgery. You need a new Dr...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you have helped a lot.