Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have had the copper iud for about r or five months now and

Customer Question

Hi, so I have had the copper iud for about r or five months now and my boyfriend and I have been on and off sexually active. This past month we have been. He always pulled out just cause we are still nerveous. Well, I had all the regular one symptoms this month, but no period. I am now two days late I took a test and I'm negative. I'm really freaked out now because I have been reading stuff online saying you could become pregnant by .8 percent. Should I just calm down?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Copper IUD is very effective and will prevent pregnancy from occurring. Just a 2-day delay in onset of a period should not be considered due to pregnancy. Such a delay is commonly seen when a person is worried or stressed. This delay due to anxiety can occur for a few days and then lead to the onset of the period. So you will definitely get your period in another day or two and you have no reason to get alarmed at present. Only if after a week of being late you should do a pregnancy test. But I don't think you will need to do a pregnancy test since most certainly you will have your period. So you should just calm down.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Dear customer,