Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

In November i was referred to a transvaginal ultrasound scan

In November i was referred to a transvaginal ultrasound scan following a prolonged period and sudden onset of lower back lower right side pain. I am attaching my original ultrasound report and my follow up appointment letter with a gynaecologist.
My second appointment with the gyn consultant was last Friday and she believed that my ovary was a little smaller than previously. I had my copper coil removed in late December and I was hoping for another opinion on my enlarged ovary / the pelvic mass. Could my coil be the culprit?i have no history of cysts or gyn problems and while my gyn doesn’t think it is anything malignant, I worry that it could be the start of something. I am due to have another scan in several weeks prior to laporascopic examination. I still experience lower back pain. My cervical swab showed a little thrush and bacteria normally found in the vagina. Would you please tell me your opinion
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Your iud is not the cause of the enlarged ovary. Its most likely a hemorrhagic cyst. Your gyn seems to be doing everything you need. No idea why you would need a laparoscopy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I’m still experiencing pretty consistent lower back pain, so she suggested laporascopic exploratory surgery with another ultrasound beforehand. What also confused me is I was told my cyst had tissue and liquid, would this appear as a mixed echogenic mass on ultrasound if it was hemmorragic? I’ve been told that she feels as though it might resolve itself but no indication as to what it could possibly be.... just that it appears smaller than before no blood flow etc...
it would. If she feels its going to resolve it doesnt sound like you need scoped
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you for your response. can i just ask... i'm still experiencing consistent lower back pain, it eases off occasionally but it's very persistent. i've just gone through another menstrual cycle and for a week i've been having on and off pains on my lower right front. i've told my gyn about that, if the cyst/ovary is going down in size, would i not experience less pain?
I doubt the pain is from the cyst at all. Yes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything I can do to help resolve itself?
No theres not. Its been proven that taking a birth control pill does not help
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for the info Dr