Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Second opinion] I had a mirena fitted dec 16- 4 months after

second opinion] I had a mirena fitted dec 16- 4 months after having my daughter. Throughout that time I bled constantly and was in pain. I had it removed 28th September 17 after complications, they found it was too high in my cervix and was in my womb. Ever since it’s been removed I’ve had excruciating stabbing pains in my uterus/ovaries numerous times a day, sometimes for hours at a time and constant back pain (even when there isn’t stabbing pain). My periods have also been almost constant and I’m having more bleeding than not - see photo.I’m seriously concerned the IUD has caused problems. I’m only 19 so it’s a massive issue. Any idea what it could be?

Have you seen a doctor for your pain and bleeding? If so, what did your exam show and what did the doctor think was going on?

Have you ever been treated for an infection in your pelvis? Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I’ve seen them for the bleeding but they just shrugged it off. Haven’t been examined or looked into for anything. I knew something was wrong with my mirena but it took atleast 4 or 5 appointments before they listened to me.

Are you saying that you've had excruciating pains, but haven't seen a doctor for them?

Did you have normal periods and no pain before getting the Mirena IUD? Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had normal periods, very regular and normal. I’ve not been to see a doctor as of yet due to family reasons. That’s why I’ve come here for a second opinion.

It's difficult to figure out what is going on. You say that the IUD was too high in your cervix and in your womb, but that's where an IUD is supposed to be, in the womb, not the cervix.

The abnormal bleeding sounds like it's likely to be from hormonal changes. One way to know that would be for you to take birth control pills (hormones) for several months. If the bleeding was normal on the pill, that would indicate that the cause was hormonal.

It's hard to know about the pain without an exam and perhaps ultrasound. If it was due to the Mirena, it usually would disappear after removing the Mirena. It's possible that you have developed an infection in your pelvic organs (a common cause for pelvic pain). If so, antibiotics would be indicated. But you would have to complain to your doctor about the pain for that to even be considered.

Bot***** *****ne, I think you need to see a good OB/GYN doctor for an exam and to figure out what's been going on. It may or may not have very much to do with the Mirena. I don't think the current bleeding is due to the Mirena, which was removed 6 months ago. Best wishes.

Thank you very much for your payment and rating.