Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I had my period on 10th March and ever since then myself and

I had my period on 10th March and ever since then myself and my other half haven't been using protection, I have been on contraception for 4 years, I feel like I could be pregnant, but have started cramping, Is this normal? I haven't done a test yet as my period is due 7th April but I don't think I'll be getting it because of what I have said above. Please help

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Are your periods regular?

When had you unprotected sex?

What type of contraception have you used?

Any weight changes?

Stress and anxiety?

Any other medical history?

Bloating, nausea?

Any spotting so far with cramps?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My periods are regular
We've had unprotected sex every day
I was on the pill until 4 years ago now I'm on nothing
No weight changes or stress and anxiety
No medical history
I'm bloated and feel nausea and have been sick a couple of times
No spotting or bleeding with the cramps

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, with a history of unprotected sex and previous regular periods, there is a chance of pregnancy.

And as you had last period on 10th March, then you should wait for a week after 10th and if you wouldn't get your period then a urine pregnancy test with morning urine sample should be done to rule out pregnancy at the first place.

Still, there is only 25 % chance of getting pregnant in one menstrual cycle.

So, if your urine pregnancy test after a week would be negative then there can be a variety of causes of a missed period like hormonal imbalance, weight changes, PCOD, thyroid dysfunction.

Now, as you have cramps so you can safely take OTC Liquid Emetrol, Tylenol, and Mylanta Gas, Metamucil.

Maintain a good hydration with Gatorade.

Then you should consult your gynecologist and your doctor may advise some form of progesterone to induce a period and further investigations like ultrasound, blood work like Thyroid function test, LH, FSH etc may be advised for further diagnosis and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your help and support.... I was going to wait until the 10th April to take the test.... what are the cha fed of me being pregnant as I've not been on contraception for 4 years

Thanks for the follow-up.

I recommend keeping a positive attitude towards pregnancy this time as you had unprotected sex every day. Chances of pregnancy are good.

A missed period is the first sign of pregnancy.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the fact I've had unprotected sex every day indicates that there is a strong possibility of me being pregnant.... is the cramping normal?

As there is no spotting so such cramps are normal and can be associated with Intestinal spasms also.

You shouldn't worry.

Try such measures.

Hope this helps.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok so it sounds like I'm pregnant then

Pregnancy can be confirmed only after a missed period and urine pregnancy test positive results.

Symptoms are not confirmatory.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where my uterus is it feels really hard when I touch it?

It can be caused due to bloating also.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you

I wish for your good health.
Please do not forget to leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars if you are satisfied with our conversation. A bonus is highly appreciated.
We can continue our conversation even after you provide a rating.
Kind Regards
Dr.Anil