medicaldoctor
medicaldoctor, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/MS
17287913

I'm having an unusual menstrual bleed. Normally I'm very

Hi,I'm having an unusual menstrual bleed. Normally I'm very heavy and clotting this time I'm very very heavy but the blood is very thin and dark. Almost like a nose bleed. I'm flooding a pad and tampin in a couple hours tops and depending on what I'm doing may need to change a tampon every hour or less. I'm a little concerned as this isn't normal for me.
Hello and welcome to Justanwer, I shall be consulting you today.
Yes this seems to be a heavy menstrual bleed which is called menorrhagia.
It can be due to a number of reasons.
It needs evaluation by means of an examination and ultrasound scan to see what is causing this heavy bleed.
What you can do right now is that you can Ibuprofen 400mg 2 to 3 times a day.This will help in reducing the menstrual bloof loss.
You can make an appointment with your doctor for further assessment.
Let me know if you have any questions for me.
If done for now please do leave a postive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on the top left corner of this thread.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have recently been diagnosed with a condition where my womb lining grows in to the muscle rather than the womb, could this be the cause of the strange bleed?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I think it's called Adenomyosis?

Yes, adenomyosis can cause heavy bleeding.

I'm sorry for a delay in my response

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay i had a feeling that could be the cause. Will this stop on its own like a normal period or will I need to see a doctor sooner rather than later?

The bleeding would be heavier and it can last for long but it would stop on its own.

What you can do is take NSAIDs like ibuprofen.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay that's a relief. Thank you for your help. You have put my mind at rest.

You're welcome :)