Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Had a transvaginal ultrasound last week need operation in 3

Customer Question

Hi Doctor had a transvaginal ultrasound last week need operation in 3 to 4 weeks they are knocking me out !!!! T.G for once couldn't find the courage to ask why all the colours on the screen red seemed to stand out from the crowd on a scale of 1 to 10 how does it sound to you tell me honestly please I can deal with anything as long as it is the TRUTH.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 months ago.

What operation are you having? Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have an ovarian cyst

You had a specific type of ultrasound called color doppler, which is used to view the blood flow through the vessels in the ovary. We use this to help differentiate a benign from a malignant (cancer) cyst. This helps your doctor know what to expect at the time of surgery. With a benign ovarian cyst, a simpler operation can be performed. In case cancer is suspected, then more radical surgery is needed. Using color doppler, there is mostly red and blue colors for the blood vessels. The pattern of red and blue helps to know if the cyst is benign. I hope that's helpful.