Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I’ve had the same IUCD in for 28 years ... what are the

I’ve had the same IUCD in for 28 years ... what are the risks involved in having one in this long. Should I have it removed or just leave it ... I have no symptoms of infection etc

Welcome and thank you for your question.

After 28 years, the IUCD is probably embedded into the endometrium or the uterine muscle .

Please get an ultrasound done. If it is embedded and you have no symptoms, nothing needs to be done. It can be left in place. Some IUCDs tend to migrate outside the uterus. If it is not causing any symptoms, it does not need to be removed. But you do need to get an ultrasound to identify the site and position of the IUCD.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.