Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Second opinion] I seem to have an issue where I have been

Customer Question

second opinion] Hi,I seem to have an issue where I have been bleeding from my vagina for around a month now. I’ve taken pregnancy tests and they’ve all come back negative and there’s no real discomfort when I urinate. It started off quite heavy but seems to be easing up a little but there’s no sign of stopping. My periods can be a little erratic but this is something totally new and does not feel like a period.I’ve been to my GP for a blood test and swabs but I’m still waiting on the results. I’m quite concerned about what this be. I have a copper coil inserted but this was checked out and it’s still in place. I’m 26 years old, non-smoker and don’t drink.Please help!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 8 days ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

When did you last do your pap smear? What was the result?

Do you have any other symptoms such as abdominal pain or vaginal discharge?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
HiI had a Pap smear just before Christmas last year and everything came back as normal. There’s no pain or discharge
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 7 days ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

In this case with a normal pap smear and no concerning symptoms such as pain or discharge the likely cause for the excessive bleeding is a hormonal imbalance. Please wait for your complete blood count and thyroid hormone results. An alternation of thyroid hormones is a common cause for such bleeding. A low thyroid hormone may cause this excess bleeding and also mild weight gain. So, if you are also having other symptoms of low thyroid hormone then this is likely to be the cause for the excessive bleeding. This reduction in thyroid hormone can be easily treated and the levels of the thyroid hormone will become normal. With the correction of thyroid hormone abnormality, your bleeding will also become normal. So, at present, this is not alarming or worrisome and you should not be scared about this. This does not mean that there is any severe underlying disease which is causing the bleeding. You can safely relax.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions. I would be happy to assist you further if you need any further information. Please use reply to let me know.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).

It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 6 days ago.

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Do you have any further questions?