Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have a enquiry Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about

Customer Question

I have a enquiry
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I haven't seen a doctor and I have not been taking any medications
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have polysistic ovaries syndrome
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I took a pregnancy test yesteeday and it came out positive but I have been having pains and cramps for the past week and haven't had my period
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

When did your last normal period start?

How old are you?

Are the pain and cramps very bad?

Is the pain on one side or in the middle? Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My last normal period I'm guessing was 3 months ago, I am a 23 year old and yes my pain and cramps are very bad, feels like period cramps but I am not actually on my period. The pain is in the middle and the lower of my back
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also have pain the lower bit of my stomach

How regular have your periods been?

Can you guess how far along pregnant you are? Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My periods have never been regular. I have polysistic ovaries. So it's been irregular but a few months I used to have them every month. I'm guessing it could be able 2 and a half weeks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But I have been having this problem for the past week

Some cramping is common in early pregnancy.

Would you say the pain and cramping are worse than you get with your periods?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The pain and cramps have been constant and worse

Hopefully the pain and cramping will gradually diminish over time. Sometimes cramps are a sign of miscarriage, but there is almost always bleeding if it's going to be a miscarriage.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There hasn't been any physical red bleeding yet but I have been seeing like brown stains

Because your pain is pretty bad, it would be best to see a doctor and have an ultrasound. That will tell you just how far along you are, verify that the pregnancy is in the right place (uterus), and rule out an ectopic pregnancy.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could it be possible that I'm probably miscarrying because I have polysistic ovaries and have taken no medications for it in order to be pregnant

If everything seems normal, there's not much to do except to wait it out. Early pregnancy cramps generally will gradually lessen and disappear, usually within a few weeks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thank you

Miscarriage is more common in women with polycycstic ovary syndrome, but we don't understand very well why that is. And we don't really know what to do about it.

But until you really start to bleed, I don't think it's a miscarriage.

When you see a doctor, everything will be much clearer. Good luck!