How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. SS Your Own Question
Dr. SS
Dr. SS, Doctor (MD)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 32244
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. SS is online now

I think that I may be struggling with a yeast infection but

Customer Question

I think that I may be struggling with a yeast infection but am not entirely sure. I’ve had yeast infections before, but never caused irritation in the vulva or the clitoris. I also haven’t been sexually active awhile up until recently. I’ve been using monostat for 4 days and itchiness has subsided as well as discharge but the irritation factor is still there.
Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?
Customer: I have never had one before.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nope!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SS replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question.
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Expert:  Dr. SS replied 2 years ago.

How old are you?

How was the discharge?

Did you use any other symptom?

Expert:  Dr. SS replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, did you use any other medicine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not used any other medicine. I’m 23 and the discharge was white. It has subsided since using the monostat but my main concern is with the irritation that’s still present. The vulva is quite dry and rough and there can be burning sometimes when I urinate but that’s probably 30% of the time. I’m just concerned if it’s not something else being that I haven’t been sexually active in awhile..where the vulva connects to the top of the Clitoris is also irritated as well. Super sensitive and hurts if I’m not wearing things that are looser and don’t cause friction
Expert:  Dr. SS replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

I understand your concern.

I am very sorry for your symptoms.

Your symptoms sound like yeast infection.

Whitish discharge, itching can be from it.

The sensitivity can take some time to clear.

It does not sound like STD.

You can use Monistat 7 now.

You can take Sitz bath.

It is sitting in warm water for 10-15 minutes.

It can be repeated several times a day.

It aids in healing & reduces the discomfort.

You can take Benadryl or Zyrtec for itching.

If the symptom does not improve in 3-4 days, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.

You may need oral antifungal like Fluconazole.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Your satisfaction is my goal.

If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.

Wish you healthy life.