MD doc
MD doc, Doctor
Experience:  MD, vastly experienced (since 1994)
239748

I have always had regular periods but for the last 3 months

Hi. I have always had regular periods but for the last 3 months I have started spotting around 7 days before my period and this has lasted 5-7 days. I also get stabbing pain, cramping and period pain aching. Then my period arrives as normal but only lasts 3 days whereas it used to be 4-5. I have had an internal ultrasound which did not pick up anything abnormal and also my gp took swabs which were negative for STI's and infection. Blood tests also did not show anything. I'm concerned what could be causing this.
JA: The OB/GYN Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Are you using any contraceptives? How long have you dealt with the STI?
Customer: I do not have an STI. I came off the pill around 8 months ago
JA: When was your last pap test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: My last pap test was early 2018 and normal. No swelling or unusual smells. The spotting varies between bright red and brown.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I've never been pregnant and am 38 years old. Blood tests showed I was not menopausal.
hi, thanks for contacting the medical experts, this is likely to be related to stress or some other infection for a mild hormonal imbalance, since you have been evaluated in detail by your doctor a serious problem appears to be very unlikely, it is likely that over the next few cycles your problems should subside, otherwise more detailed testing including hormonal tests may be needed,
Please remember to leave a positive rating if you found the answer helpful as this is the only way we are compensated for the time and effort spent answering your question,
You can always get back for any clarifications even after rating me,
Warm regards
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any way I can tell if it is stress related? What sort of other infection could it be?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am currently trying to conceive so would really like to know what other sort of infection it could be please?

An infection is very unlikely given the normal PAP smear previously, and the normal current tests and normal Ob/gyn examination,

What does the Ob/gyn think? Could it be the stress of trying to get pregnant? Are the hormone levels alright?
Warm regards

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My examination showed inflammation of my cervix and contact bleeding but I was seen at the colposcopy clinic at hospital and they could find no abnormal cells and as my ultrasound was normal, they discharged me. They said I had possibly irritated my cervix as I did home insemination using a syringe. I have only tried to conceive for the last 2 months so my symptoms of spotting and pain began the month before I started trying to get pregnant.
My gp said hormone levels were ok although I don't know what hormones were tested.

As I said above, a serious problem OR infection appears very unlikely,

Hormonal changes and stress are the likely culprits, wait for couple of more months and then see your Ob/gyn for further tests as needed,

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325087.php

Warm regards

Customer: replied 2 months ago.