Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

My partner is over 10 days delayed on her period. She has

Customer Question

Good morning. My partner is over 10 days delayed on her period. She has taken pregnancy tests ever since she noted the delay, in the morning and using different tests to minimize error. So far it states she is not pregnant, however, she ahs a very precise cycle, usually +/- 2 days no more. The one difference is that she was in a bodybuilding competition the month before and because of that there were 2 weeks where she highly restricted her calorie intake and on the days before competition a very restricted water intake as well. We wanted to go to a gynaecologist but as foreigners it has proven to be impossible so far to do so! She was not registered yet on a GP (she has applied today) but they told her she may or may not be signed in, and then we need a GP appointment and only then will they give us an appointment with a gynaecologist which is just ridiculous! It will be weeks before that happens. Is there a better option for this, I just really want to make sure she is fine. Thank you
JA: The OB/GYN Doctor can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Is your partner using any contraceptives? When did her last period begin?
Customer: She did not use contraceptives. Her last period was around 28th september
JA: When was her last pap test, and what were the results? Any swelling, discoloration, or unusual smells?
Customer: Her last gynaecologist appointment was 1 year ago. No swelling or unusual smells
JA: Anything else in her medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: She did have an issue circa a year ago, she was "producing" a white mucus, the doctor precribed some pills for it (antibiotics i think not fully sure) sorry for not being precise
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 15 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. If her pregnancy test is negative then she is not pregnant. I would be willing to bet that the bodybuilding competition has delayed or stopped her ovulation. She will miss her period or have a late one. This is not a reason to see a Dr or a gynecologist as noting can be done. She will resume cycles if she resumes a normal food and fluid intake. I hope this information is helpful to you. Please reply with any questions you may have. Thank you for coming to Just Answer for help.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you Doctor, really appreciate the swift answer.
If you odnt mind me bothering you with just a couple more questions then.

I assume it doesn't make sense to continue testing with the pregnancy tests anymore, since if she were to be pregnant it would be apparent by now.
And should the delaycontinue, what should we do? Does that constitute as an emergency in the NHS services?
Also. she claims that she has slight lower back pain, breasts don’t hurt , for the past few days nauseous, nauseous after workout and sometimes after meals

Thank you again
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 15 days ago.
1. You dont need to keep testing. 2. A delayed period is not an emergency and not really even a reason for an office visit. 3. The symptoms she is having are not related to pregnancy.